So, Cleveland is on pretty much complete lockdown right now; I haven’t left my apartment in about a week and am thoroughly enjoying the shorter commute and inability of anyone to come to my desk to pester me.
This has resulted in one of my own ‘fics kicking into pretty high gear development-wise, to the point where basically all of my writing efforts have been focused on that and I just haven’t been interested in riffing as much. I’m not in any kind of trouble or on the outs with the rest of the site or anything, I just am currently seeing weekly riffs as more of a distraction from a story that’s burning a hole in my hard drive waiting for me to finally finish and post it.
So, no new updates for probably another week or so.
We’re going to be implementing some changes to the way guest riffs are handled in the near future. Details can be found in the Enlistment Office page, but expect the following (bolded terms are to improve legibility, not to be patronizing or imitate Frank Miller):
- NONE OF THESE CHANGES APPLY TO ANY CURRENTLY IN-PROGRESS RIFF. That is, any fic for which you have already submitted at least one riff installment will not be subject to the new requirements, but any new fic you intend to start riffing will.
- We intend to start taking quality control more seriously. Some guest riffs we’ve been getting recently are light on critical content, humor, and technical writing quality. The plan is not to reject riffs (unless they’re in seriously desperate shape), but we do intend to have a more active revision process before anything goes live.
- To that end, we are unfortunately going to have to ask that all riffs be submitted to the main guest riff box (not individual Librarians’ accounts, as some of you are still doing; you’re still welcome to reach out with other concerns, but it’s easier to handle a guest riff when any of us can work on it) as Google docs so that we can leave comments and make changes quickly and you’ll be able to respond to them.
- People (even full-time Librarians, granted, but keep in mind that we have a more rigorous posting schedule to keep up) have been starting riffs of really long fics and not finishing them, which is kind of unsatisfying. Depending on the length of the fic, we’re going to implement a minimum number of completed riff installments that must be submitted to us before we post anything.
- For riffs that will take five or fewer installments to complete, we will require all installments to be submitted before we post any of them.
- For riffs that will take six or more installments, we will require at least one-third (rounded up) of the expected number of total installments to be submitted before we post any of them.
- Note that we’re talking installments, not chapters. So if something has five chapters, but they’re all ungodly long and you’ll need three parts to cover each, that’s going to be in the second category. On the other hand, if it has twenty-five chapters but they’re all one paragraph and you can cover it in one or two installments, it would fall into the first category. Which means that, in either case, you need to start working and get a feel for how long the chapters are and what you’re comfortable tackling in one swoop before anything hits our inbox.
We understand this sounds a little draconian, but the idea is to improve the overall quality and completeness of our own content and to help you put your best work forward. And, among other things, the hope is that more riffers will choose to read the fics they are thinking of riffing ahead of time so as to head off any potential problems which might lead to fic abandonment later on.
Keep in mind that we do understand the need for the occasional one-shot break. As such, one-shots will be always be accepted for review, even from guest riffers who are currently mid-series.
Thank you for your patience.
P.S. Bullet points are a pain in the ass to format on WordPress.
P.P.S. Which is one of the reasons why we are implementing such stringent requirements for formatting- we want to make sure riffs come in as a format that WordPress can play nicely with.
This comic is hard to review. There’s an immense amount of text in it, sourcing the images is a convoluted process since they exist in multiple versions and don’t come in at the right resolution, it’s long, and it contains vast quantities of filler.
All of which I might have been able to push through if I was really breaking new ground and dissecting something heretofore undiscovered for the very first time for the whole Internet to see. but what’s really getting to me is the sense of futility that comes from the thing having already been dissected by the CWCki, Annotated Sonichu, the Videobooks, and a thousand other places. I don’t really feel like I’m adding anything, and that’s incredibly disheartening.
So I’m gonna quit, and move on to other stories that may not be a whole lot more tractable but will at least be more rewarding.
I might come back to Sonichu in the future, but probably not. Other sites like the CWCki are only going to get more comprehensive as time goes on.
As I’m sure some of you have noticed, I’ve been pretty absent lately. A lot has been going on and it’s making it harder and harder for me to keep up on my administration duties. (I have a whole batch of Pterodactyl cookies ordered from Gumdrop for the guest riffers who have sent me submissions that haven’t gone anywhere. I’m so sorry, guys. Life has been rough in my head lately.)
To help ease my duties a bit, we now have a new email for the site! So change your contacts! If you need to get a hold of us, you can email the library at:
All Librarians have access to this account, so you won’t always get me anymore. But now if you want to contact a specific Librarian, this makes it easy to do so without me having to filter and funnel and sort.
Thank you and happy riffing!
Double-Post Sundays are back for a while! So make sure to check out both the riffs that upload on Sundays and support our wonderful guest snarkers!
Hello, lovelies! We have another double-post this weekend so please support both our guest riffers and check out their contributions to the Library!
Hello, lovelies! Just a reminder that we have another double post guest riff Sunday going on today! Show some love to both our wonderful contributors!