Title: resident evil:reborn
Insane Doctor The Insane Shadow Hunter and JudgementDragon25
Media: Video Game / Movie
Topic: As many video games as you can shake a stick at, and The Land Before Time
Genre: None listed, and really, it’s hard to categorize such fail
URL: resident evil:reborn – Chapter Two
Critiqued by TacoMagic
Last week we were treated to some undiluted random badassery in order to introduce Wesker as the new Awesome McEvil of the fic. Samantha came back to life with the magic of Nemesis, but otherwise not much happened.
So let’s just jump right in and see what chapter two takes us.
(location umbrella’s secret base)
Welcome back to another Wednesday. This week is the last week in my oneshot extravaganza, so let’s end it on a really, really bad note.
Let’s check out the summary of this fic that promises to not be another Magus squee fic:
Just when Magus thought it was safe to settle down, he runs into some trouble with a band of bounty hunters after Janus, then befriends a young woman who swipes his amulet. Magus knows more about his new partner than he reveals, but doesn’t trust her.
Not terrible, though the Janus/Magus thing is way, way overplayed. But whatever. Let’s take a look at why this fic is here, shall we?
Thousands upon thousands of years ago, before the luxury of speed bikes and
weather domes, before people even used guns, before even mystics themselves,
The earth was a series of islands, peninsulas, small continents, seas,
lakes, caused by a massive tidal wave. One of these islands was home to a village
of refugees from the tidal wave. Boats and ships would periodically sail to and from
the island, either with supplies or passengers. On this island was a mountain, on
which all of the villager’s houses were located.
*Eyes start bleeding*
This week I’ve got another brief one-shot starring a fast evolving Stu. Since I own, and have beaten all the Metroid games, I felt somewhat qualified to take on a Metroid fic. Unfortunately for me, this fic has almost nothing to do with Metroid.
Let’s check out the summary.
The Federation had other heroes besides Samus Aran. Heroes who risked everything to save the lives of the innocent. Heroes who lost everything to complete their duty.
Yeah. I’m just gonna count that as a Stu point.
*Adds Trajik Hero to the Stu-Pot*
This week I’ve got a short, and really awful, Rescue Rangers oneshot fic. Since it’s so short, I thought I’d take the opportunity to turn the first bit of it into a workshop of sorts to give you, the readers, a glimpse at what the process at the library is. We’ll also get to see how quickly a Mary Sue can be established.
The first part of any riff is fic selection. For my part, I find that about 10% of fics I look at are of the correct level of awful to actually work on. The other 90% are either good, not bad enough, bad for the wrong reasons, or bad in the wrong way. Let me explain those last two. One of the fics I tend to steer away from are fics that are bad, but for the wrong reasons. Specifically, fics that are written in English by people who aren’t native English speakers. Now, these can be bad from a plot perspective, but it’s typically so difficult to separate this from my desire to nitpick all the mechanical issues, that I just as soon not do them. I’d rather make fun of a fic that’s bad on it’s own merits rather than harp on somebody who didn’t do so good translating.
The last kind are the ones like that ill-fated Cave Story fic I did. These tend to be full of racism, sexism, graphic violence, rape, and all other manner of foul crap that I’d rather not expose you all to. And let’s be honest, I don’t really want me to read it either.
Welcome back, patrons! Today I’ve got a short, sweet little wreck called Larry The Lemming vs. Satan. It’s a three chapter powerhouse that’s not quite 900 words. On the plus side, none of them are author’s notes. The premise here is pretty simple, there’s a lemming, his name is Larry, he squares off against Satan.